My favourite breakfast

Everyone knows breakfast is the most important meal of the day but breakfast is also the most difficult meal when you have celiac disease... When I first started eating gluten-free I thought eggs were the only thing left... Thank God that wasn't true!

I have always loved a good muesli or granola in the morning. If you want healthy, organic food for breakfast, a good muesli is a great starting point!



"Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper."
(Adelle Davis)

The great thing about muesli (I think)... there are no rules or recipes to follow, you can just add anything you like (love it!). Since I can't add most grains to my muesli, I like to use quinoa as my base. Quinoa is a popular gluten-free grain because of its nutritional qualities... Quinoa is higher in protein than most cereal grains, it contains all 9 essential amino acids that we need for good health. Another great thing about Quinoa is that it contains the essential fatty acids omega 3 and omega 6 and it's a great antioxidant.

Now that we have our base, let the fun begin! My favourite gluten-free muesli contains nuts, seeds, dried fruits and fresh fruits. Here's some of my favourite ingredients:

Nuts
Raw mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts)
 

Seeds
Hemp seeds
Chia seeds
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Line seeds
 

Dried fruits
Dried cranberries
Dried goji berries
Dates or apricots for some sweetness
 

Fresh fruits
Any kind of berry (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry)
Banana

To finish up, I like to add almond milk or soy yoghurt to my muesli. A great way to start the day!
If you like your muesli a bit sweeter you can add some Agave nectar, a
low-glycemic alternative to the bad boy (also called: sugar).

Bon appétit! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment